August 14, 2012

On love

 I am beholding the unfathomable.
 At once mesmerising and terrifying:
 The drop
 Into the abyss
 Where time
 Stands
 Still.

 I seek endless searching:
 Digging and finding both treasure and treasure map;
 Opening a door to find a room full of doors,
 Each one opening into a hallway lined with doors,
 Doors upon doors,
 Each door a mysterious, ecstatic joy –
 And I go on in endless searching.

 Love is not something to be acquired –
 Love is an ocean to sail upon,
 And dive into,
 And explore.
 Love is so often associated with sweet fruits: strawberries, peaches, apples…
 But I think love is like a potato, or an onion, or a carrot:
 The best parts are hidden beneath the surface, 
 Secrets waiting to be discovered, devoured,
 Delicious and nourishing.
 Love is an invitation:
 ‘Come and find me,
 Dig me out of the ground and open me up.’

(c) Johnny Sharpe